Bareboat Skipper Certificate
Ocean Wind conducts IYT course in English and German, manuals and exams are available in both languages.Course Content
- Responsibilities of a bareboat skipper
- Keeping a Logbook
- Crew safety checks
- Pilotage plan
- Hull and rig checks
- Vessel handling in confined areas
- Machinery and systems checks
- Mooring, anchoring, coming alongside
- Fuel and water capacity and range
- Ropes, knots, care and use of lines
- Menus and quantities
- General deck work
- Sources of meteorological information
- Tides and currents theory
- Weather patterns
- Tidal heights, springs and neaps
- Sea and land breezes
- Rule of "twelfths"
- Cloud types and formations
- Position fixing, running fixes
- Pilotage and passage planning
- Plotting the effect of tides and currents
- Considerations when planning a passage
- Collision regulations
- Routine for navigating a coastal passage
- Lights, shapes and sounds
- Passage strategy
- Application of the regulations
- Port regulations, customs, immigration
- Advanced dinghy handling
Two full weeks training at sea and you can have your skipper license. No more miles, no more waiting.
To obtain this certificate candidates are required to have logged a total of 200 nautical miles and 10 days at sea. This is a certificate of competence for those candidates who wish to take command of their own yachts confidently and safely or for those who wish to safely charter a small Yacht for their family vacation.
The Bareboat skipper course aboard our own training vessel Ocean Wind will give you this required seatime during two weeks at sea. Although there are no previous requirements for this course, we expect all candidates to have some sailing experience, we consider small boat sailing to be the best preparation. Understanding how the wind and sails work on a small scale will make your experience more enjoyable. If you live in Switzerland then contact our friends at the Segelschule Thunersee. Or contact your local sailing school. If you have never sailed, consider a charter week with us to get your sea legs, get to know the workings of a sailing vessel and to help make the decision to become a skipper.
The course covers command of a vessel up to a maximum length of 65 ft /18 metres and its crew in coastal waters up to a distance of 20 miles offshore in daylight hours and in fair conditions with moderate wind and sea conditions (wind of less than force 6 and less than 3 metre waves). Each candidate will be required to take command of the vessel in all situations and be able to plan a passage using all information available.
IYT Worldwide will accept prior learning from other recognized yachting establishments for those who wish to apply for recognition towards the International Bareboat Captain/Skipper Certificate Examination.
The Bareboat Skipper certificate is a coastal sailing license, not a commercial licence or an offshore license. Ocean Wind does not offer these courses at the moment. Further qualifications (including commercial certificates) can be obtained from International Yacht Training Worldwide.
- Certification follows after passing a written theory exam and a practical evaluation. Eligible candidates will also receive the Intenational Certificate of Competence-ICC.
- Taking this course does not guarantee success, both the theory exam and the practical evaluation must be passed.
- The International Bareboat Skipper certificate is valid for five years. Revalidate your licence dirtectly through IYT Worldwide.